Sunday, January 31, 2010

Viewing Transformation

Hi all, and welcome to Viewing Transformation, my gaming blog. Games have come a long way, and with all the hoo-ha over how games are a legitimate artistic medium now, there are a lot of things that developers are doing well, and a lot of things that need improvement. There are a lot of blogs and websites out there that provide insightful and useful reviews of games. My aim is not to duplicate them, but to supplement those reviews with a few comments on the game's impact on our culture. Too many times have I seen a stellar game, which I know I'll enjoy playing, that has an advertising campaign or supplementary character that is an insult to the gaming community's intelligence. Existing game rankings don't include a "cringe factor", nor do they applaud those games that get the little details right. Producing a modern commerical game is a monumental effort, one that can influence the worldview of millions of players. I think it's time that developers who make that influence a useful and positive one received some recognition. I know I'm not alone.

Cheers
-t

No comments:

Post a Comment